Engaging men to become gender equality ambassadors.
Advancing girls and women in male-dominated industries requires the leadership, participation, commitment, and allyship of men. Engendering Industries, in partnership with Equimundo, works to engage men and individuals who identify as male to be workplace gender equality champions. Equimundo has partnered with Engendering Industries since 2020 for the design and delivery of the Engaging Men for Gender Equality training program.
Working closely with partners, USAID’s Engendering Industries program identifies male gender equality champions within partner organizations, and empowers them with the tools, skills, and knowledge needed to advance gender equality across the workforce. Through workshops and trainings, men commit to concrete actions that advance gender equality at home, in communities, and in the workplace.
In 2022 Engendering Industries launched its male engagement curriculum, developed in partnership with Equimundo. The curriculum catalyzes workforce reflection and dialogue, and highlights the ways gender norms and inequalities lead to disparities in rights, workforce opportunities, and access to resources for men and women. Through group activity and individual reflection, the curriculum promotes changes in knowledge, attitudes, and practices to build equitable, respectful, and collaborative corporate cultures. As a part of the Engendering Industries program, this methodology has been implemented with utility companies in various contexts around the world including the Dominican Republic, India, Nigeria, Ghana, Liberia, and Tunisia.
- Recognizes male employees as critical stakeholders in achieving gender equality in the workplace.
- Raises awareness among men on the ways gender equality benefits men.
- Encourages male employees to become mentors, allies, change agents, ambassadors, and sponsors, with active roles and responsibilities.
- Supports men to become active participants and vocal supporters of gender equality, and publicly speak out against gender-based violence and discrimination against women and girls around the world.
- Fosters company dialogue between men and women to identify the goals of the corporate culture and how to achieve them.
- Supports male leaders to model male allyship and encourage other male employees to participate.
- Creates a safe space for men to talk about the negative impacts of patriarchy and toxic masculinity on men, while identifying opportunities to step out of traditional roles and patterns that don’t serve them.
Introducing Engendering Industries New Manual
About Engendering Industries
Launched in 2015, USAID’s Engendering Industries program supports organizations in developing countries to increase economic opportunities for women and improve gender equality in the workplace. Expanding women’s participation in male-dominated sectors leads to tangible economic empowerment outcomes for women, such as formal employment opportunities and higher income. Increased gender equality also improves an organization’s business performance, helping companies meet their bottom-line by enhancing employee satisfaction, reducing turnover, and driving productivity. Well-functioning organizations are also vital in supporting stronger and more resilient economies. Through a customized best practices framework, demand-driven coaching, and a Gender Equity Executive Leadership Program, Engendering Industries builds the capacity of leaders to implement gender equality interventions that increase the professional participation of women and improve business performance.
Engaging Men for Gender Equality – USAID Engendering Industries ManualPDF Preview