In March, Equimundo joined The Representation Project, a group of activists, and Hollywood leaders in launching the #AskMoreOfHim campaign, encouraging men to speak out against a culture of sexism, abuse, and inequality.
With the goal of challenging more men to join women in using their privilege and platforms for gender justice, a group of 15 activists and 15 entertainment industry leaders introduced the campaign in advance of the Oscars. The group wrote an open letter in The Hollywood Reporter, and a corresponding op-ed by campaign organizers Jennifer Siebel Newsom and Jackson Katz that further described the need for men to step up in the wake of the #MeToo movement, calling out toxic masculinity and taking concrete steps toward equality.
In conjunction, the Representation Project posted a collection of resources men everywhere can use to learn more and become better allies in the movement against sexual harassment, abuse, and assault. The list includes Equimundo’s Man Box report, a groundbreaking three-country study on young men’s attitudes, behaviors, and understandings of what it means to be a man.
Thousands have joined the #AskMoreOfHim campaign, responding to the widespread media coverage and on-and-offline conversations. Check out some highlights below:
I am so moved by this letter. Thank you. I hold hope that as this letter circulates, more of my male colleagues will sign and support the hashtag #askmoreofhim
We all benefit from a healthy work environment, free from abuse. https://t.co/2RcZlRbuds
— Jessica Chastain (@jes_chastain) March 2, 2018
So proud to join the #AskMoreOfHim movement. As men there is no doubt we can do more. We can be better listeners, friends, supporters and allies. We aren’t perfect and we will never be but we can at least make an effort. This may be only a small step, but it’s an important one. https://t.co/vUwWOGeZUF
— justin baldoni (@justinbaldoni) March 2, 2018
- CNN – Hollywood men launch in support of Time’s Up
- The Hollywood Reporter – David Arquette, David Schwimmer Join Hollywood Men and Activists to Launch #AskMoreOfHim Campaign
- Slate – Male Actors and Activists Join the #AskMoreOfHim Campaign Ahead of the Oscars
- Teen Vogue – Hollywood Men Take Part in #AskMoreOfHim Campaign
- Newsweek – What is #AskMoreOfHim? Male-Led Movement Inspired by #MeToo and Time’s Up Launches Before Oscars
- Fast Company – In The Wake Of #MeToo, Davids Schwimmer And Arquette Urge #AskMoreOfHim
- The Mary Sue – #AskMoreofHim: A Group of Hollywood Men Publish Open Letter Calling on Men to Do Better
- The Cut – With #AskMoreOfHim, Men in Hollywood Pledge to Hold Each Other Accountable
- US Magazine – Hollywood Men Launch #AskMoreOfHim Campaign Inspired by #MeToo Movement